Tuesday, July 20, 2010

One of those moments

Today I had my first of "one of those moments" as a mother. I had to get my passport renewed today. I had gone to the office yesturday and had to go back home before I went through the entire process since Lucas was starving and Emma was not cooperating before they even gave us a number.
Today, I got to the office at 7:30 (right when they open), the line is past the door (way longer than yesturday) but I say to myself it is today that I will be getting my new passport...any day would be this bad probably right? Everything is going well! Emma is sitting in the stroller and eating a muffin and observing all the people. Lucas is smiling at everybody in the line. And BINGO, after 35 minutes and the head nod that we have all the proper documents, we finally get our number.

We are F321 and they are at F314 right now...that should not be too long! We go get a seat. Emma wants out of the stroller and since I have never strapped her in she gets out by herself. But she has been sitting for a while so maybe it is a good idea that she comes and sit by me on the chair...NOT! She of course does not want to sit, but she stays near me and makes flirty smiles at the old man beside us. Then she yells "CACA" and pointing toward her diaper. They are at number F317 now...there's no time to go change her. At about the same time Lucas decides that he is hungry right NOW. So I start breastfeeding him. And of course our number is up. Lucas is not happy about not getting his milk right this moment. So I walk to the counter searching for the pacifier to shut him for a couple of minutes. Emma is now running through the waiting room dancing with no shoes on. I manage to find her shoes and grab her and put her back inthe stroller. I can feel all the eyes in the waiting room starring at us...I guess we are the entertainment for this morning! I sign a paper, the agent gives me a blue paper and directs me to the other line to pay.

As we get to the line, the pacifer trick is not working anymore and Lucas is MAD and HUNGRY! Nobody in the waiting room is finding the cute smily boy very cute anymore. A couple of people felt bad so they let us go by them. Then Emma decides to get out of the stroller again and noticed that I am trying to shut up Lucas with her pacifier....now she is pitching a fit also. Now everyone is telling us to just get in front of the line ... and leave with the 2 crying kids already. I pay my ticket and get back to the car. Emma is happy and playing with her doll in her car seat while I breastfeed Lucas. I look up in the mirror and I see that I have chocolat on my nose from my hot chocolat this morning...GREAT!

This morning was not my finest moment as a mother...and probably not my last.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right. It won't be your last, but the incident provided a great story that you'll enjoy telling even ten years from now. Just remember, all of those older people have already gone through this themselves, although I'm surprised no one told you about your chocolate nose. They probably thought you had enough stress already. Love it!
Linda

hollie said...

This is hilarious... I'm sure not at the time, but you must have found it amusing enough to share with the group! I know I've got some moments like those in my future!!

Kathleen M Orr said...

I enjoy reading stories like this. It reassures me I'm not alone! =) I can tell you're a great mamma!